THE GOAL IS SIMPLE
The goal is a simple one. Involve groups and businesses that wouldn't normally be aware of the issues faced by Elkhorn Creek. Show them the importance of this majestic waterway to the community and that working together to solve these issues can be a lot of fun. Check out the "Event Info" page for more information and a schedule of events.
JOIN IN ON THE FUN
As a sponsor, a volunteer or both, this event will be the most fun you'll have while making your community a better place to live. Join now!
The Latest News
The Great Elkhorn Creek Trash Bash is only a week away.
So far everything looks perfect for a great weekend of fun on Elkhorn Creek. If for any reason the weather turns nasty, we’ll get the word out via email or however you spotted this notice.
Plan on arriving at Elkhorn Acres (AW Acres) 4121 Peaks Mill Road in Frankfort, Kentucky at 10:00 am. On Saturday June 1st. As one of more than 100 volunteers, you’ll meet and get to know the other volunteers. We’ll form into teams, have a safety meeting and by 11:00 am (or there abouts) head out to your assigned section of the water. If you have a kayak, SUP of canoe, please bring it but if not, no worries, we have gear for up to 40 volunteers.
We’ll provide the ride to your assigned section of the creek (usually a 4 to 5 mile section) and when you’re done, we’ll pick you up and bring you back to the home base at Elkhorn Acres. Altogether we’ll be cleaning up a minimum of 26 miles of creek which as far as river clean-ups are concerned is pretty great.
Later when you get back, all the teams have arrived and we’ve collected the trash, we’ll form up and carpool out to the campground. (Mike Larimore’s Farm at 2385 Sullivan Lane, Frankfort, Ky.). Mike’s place can be a bit hard to find but we’ll have plenty of signage along the way.
Volunteers are welcome and encouraged to make a true weekend of the event. We appreciate your help and want to make this fun for you. Camping and dinner at the farm are free. There will be plenty to do, rather you want to hang out for a relaxing time by the creek, set up late at the bonfire or get involved in one of the many other activities going one, we promise you’ll have a great time. Your service to the community is appreciated and we want to show it.
On Sunday at noon, the Sam Singleton Memorial Kids Race will get its official start right at the campground. They will race down to the finish line at Canoe Kentucky. We’re sure it’ll be a lot of fun and hope you can all stay around for the event. Please see below for a list of things to bring with you and other important information. Thanks again for your support of the community and this event.
What to bring
- If you have a canoe, kayak or SUP please bring it. We have enough gear to outfit about 40 volunteers but that will go fast.
- A sturdy pair of gloves, shoes you don’t mind getting wet and a towel for later.
- Water or something to drink while on the river and a snack or lunch.
- A sense of adventure.
For those camping and attending the race:
All volunteers and racers are invited and encouraged to camp with your fellow volunteers. It’s a weekend of fun and we mean it. Come on, you’ll have a blast.
- We are providing free camping and free dinner to all the volunteers at the campsite. That does not include your drinks. Please bring something to drink as well as your favorite adult beverages.
- Something for breakfast. Sorry, we do not provide breakfast.
- Camping gear; i.e. a tent, sleeping bags, and a camp chair.
Things to do at the campsite:
- Relax by or swim in the creek. The campsite is located on a private farm and it’s right on Elkhorn Creek.
- Hang out at the bonfire, listen to or play music. We’ll have a giant bonfire with plenty of room for everyone.
- Play some of the games which will be out. We’ll have corn hole games, frisbees, hula-hoops, day and nighttime badminton and volleyball games. (Yes, you heard that right… We have LED birdies for badminton and LED volley balls for nighttime action at 2 different locations on the farm. The nets will be lit and so will the field markers. Have fun with it.
- Hang out with friends, enjoy your favorite adult beverage and meet all kinds of new and interesting people. Keep in mind that this is a family friendly environment and please respect the quiet camping areas. Other than that, have a good time.
- Bring some firewood and build your own campfire.
- Bring a sense of adventure.
If you have any questions or comments please feel free to contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or via the “Contact Us” link below.